Skip to main content

Statistics in Business


Statistics in Business

I really wonder why I hated numbers and math as a child. Probably it required me to think or because it was cool to be part of “math hating” group in school or because I never liked my math teachers. Although I always said I hate math, in reality, I am closer to it than I thought. Like my Professor Dr. Karri said, “you can’t do MBA and hate numbers! Ain’t business all about numbers?” Also, I have master’s in pharmacy with a pharmaceutics major. Ain’t pharmaceutical formulations all about math? Whatever is the case, I am sad that I missed to see the value of math earlier in my life. But, I do believe that there are ways to improve it. The more I know about math, the more interesting it is.

All business decisions such as measuring performance, forecasting future, understanding risks and ROIs, researching market data etc., are all made easy with the help of statistics. With the knowledge of statistics, we can learn to logically manage and analyze data. Whether small data or big data, these numbers create a story that help organizations figure out suitable strategies.

Image result for statistics in business gif

Data Science and Technology Evolution

Since we briefly spoke about importance about data and statistics in business, let’s peek into technological innovations that are based on them. Data Science is a combination of both data analytics and statistics to interpret data. It is interesting to see how Bigdata is changing and evolving the latest technologies like artificial intelligence and machine learning. Organizations are focusing on innovations by combing the agility of big data with artificial intelligence to improve the business value. Huge amounts of data can be analyzed in milliseconds with bigdata. Machine learning is nothing but scaled up algorithms. These algorithms identify patterns and trends in data and learn to predict new patterns accordingly. Data science is creating a giant wave of disruptive innovation in business.

Conclusion

Understanding of math and statistics will give us confidence and an assertive place in an organization as our ability to infer and manage risk grows.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Managing Older Workforce

I recently listened a "HBR podcast" series on how to manage older people at work .These days, managers need to adapt to different kind of generations seen in workforce and act accordingly. It was mentioned that there are 5 generations in workplace today and methods that work with Gen X/Z may not work with millennials and vice versa. Expectations also change based on times and norms of that era. One of the trends being seen at workplace these days is younger managers with people under them who are much older and experienced and managing these “older” people requires additional care on the part of managers. The podcast talked about three cases pertaining to older generations and how they perceived, areas of age, experience, modern technology tools, etc. and how their views are the source of frustration for their younger counterparts. Managing of the diverse workforce and changing workforce demographics are related to strategic human resources management. Managers ...

Two Sides of Corporate Social Responsibility

Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) -- it is the hottest topic out there. Should we trust that companies live up their values or there are any underlying motives? But, let's first start by exploring the definition of Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR). It is defined as the commitment of business to contribute to sustainable economic development, working with employees, their families, the local community and society at large to improve their quality of life ( World Business Council on Sustainable Development, 2000 ). So, CSR is based on the belief that companies make positive contributions to society. Some examples of CSR activities that organizations participate to be socially responsible are as follows: Philanthropic CSR- Companies donate to the needy via charities. Their donations include clean water programs, helping those affected by natural disaster etc. Environmental CSR- It is very important to limit pollution. Companies participate in CSR by lim...

Printing Money - Challenges & Recommendations

Last week, I wrote about how printing money can be a viable solution to boost economic growth of a nation . If implemented properly, it can help in eliminating the debt of a nation. However, it comes with its own set of challenges. I will also discuss about addressing these challenges.  Challenge 1 – Excessive printing of money We all know that excessive printing of money can cause an alarming inflation. This was faced in countries of Zimbabwe, Germany and Weimar. Recommendation - Money financing should be used sparingly, and for specific situations such as to pull an economy out of a lengthy slump or to write off excessive public debts. If we accept money finance as a normal operation there is a danger that future governments will abuse it greatly.   Challenge 2 - “Printed money takes the form of credit which mostly goes to investors or the government” (Osama Diab,2017) The first beneficiaries of the printed money are financial institutions, who have access ...